Sutter Health / California Pacific Medical Center
Van Ness & Geary Campus
Location: San Francisco, CA
Client: Sutter Health / California Pacific Medical Center
One of the new buildings on the Van Ness and Geary Campus for Sutter Health/CPMC is a new 12-story, 274 bed acute care hospital built on the site of the former Cathedral Hill Hotel.
The Hospital will have a women’s and children’s program which will include labor and delivery, postpartum, neo-natal ICU’s, pediatrics and pediatric ICUs. Additional services will include emergency services, oncology, cardiology, transplant and joint replacement, all housed in the new 740,000 square foot building. The hospital will also house tertiary and quaternary services with single patient occupancy in all rooms and provide an emergency room centrally located on a major transit route within San Francisco. The Hospital is designed to be able to safely remain open and continue providing essential services after a major earthquake or other disaster.
Information and clinical technologies are designed to increase communication between patients and their care team. Each room will feature an integrated nurse/emergency call system, along with a multi-purpose media system providing patient education, communication and education features. Sutter’s Epic Electronic Medical Record system will be deployed throughout the facility utilizing medical-grade wired and wireless systems to support access to healthcare information. A Real Time Location System (RTLS) will support asset tracking and patient location.
The project utilizes a Lean Construction approach with an Integrated Project Delivery Team (IPDT) co-located in a project office complete with “Big Room” working together under an Integrated Form of Agreement (IFOA) contract. The team is utilizing v-Planner, ProjectWise and other project coordination, communication and planning tools to manage design and construction activities and minimize delays and disruption to the project.
- Strategic Technology Planning
- Infrastructure Design
- Systems Design
- Implementation Project Management
- Transition Planning
- Structured Cabling
- Data Networking
- Telephone System
- Real Time Location Systems
- Nurse Call/Code Blue
- Media Distribution
- Audiovisual Systems
- Low Voltage Systems
- Lean construction technologies encourage coordinated, informative solutions and follow CPMC’s Vision and Guiding Principles, as well as Sutter’s 5 Big Ideas.
- Project technologies support and promote increased communication between patient and caregivers, heightened patient safety and an enhanced healing environment.
- Technologies in the hospital support the innovative work of the healthcare professionals working at the hospital by minimizing ‘low value’ tasks allowing clinicians, nurses and other staff to focus on working with patients and performing other ‘high value’ activities.