International Polytechnic High School
Location: Pomona, CA
Client: Los Angeles County Office of Education
Architect: HMC Architects
Through a lease agreement between Cal Poly Pomona and Los Angeles County Office of Education (LACOE), the International Polytechnic High School (iPoly) was constructed in the south quadrant of the Cal Poly Pomona campus. This project provides permanent facilities for iPoly. The new 44,579 gross square foot facility houses grades 9-12 in a two-story structure and includes classrooms, science lab, administrative offices, multipurpose room, outdoor learning spaces and miscellaneous ancillary spaces.
The building program includes interactive classrooms, computer lab, administrative offices, a multipurpose room, a small resource center, broadcast & film studies space with related editcontrol rooms, as well as a small food service facility.
“This long-dreamed-of facility means a permanent home for iPoly that will support its project-based approach to learning and further enhance the school’s tradition of excellence,” says Jon Gundry, interim superintendent of the Los Angeles County Office of Education (LACOE), which operates the school in partnership with Cal Poly Pomona. It supports the core mission of project-based learning (PBL) which is a teaching strategy that organizes learning around inter-related, complex tasks or components that are based on “essential questions”.
The new two-level building offers the latest educational technology and other learning tools previously unavailable to iPoly students, including interactive white boards in each classroom, video production facilities for career-technical education and a computer lab.
Learn more about the award winning educational programs at iPoly at:
- Program Development
- Architectural Design Support
- Theatrical Systems Design
- Audio-Visual Design Support
- Theatrical Lighting & Platform/Seating Design
- Network-Based Paging System Design
- Wireless Networking Design
- Collaborative Educational Technologies
- Interactive Classrooms
- Digital Signage
- Digital-Based Audio Visual Systems
- Digital Archival/Distance Education
- Film Recording Studio & Edit Bay/Control Room
- Network-Based Classroom Bell System
- Technology supports the core mission of Project Based Learning
- On-site film studies & theatrical studies with hands-on training
- Real-time distance education capable
- Students working with collaborative and interactive technologies