Rio Hondo Community College
Location: Whittier, CA
Rio Hondo College is a community college located in the city of Whittier, California, named after the nearby Rio Hondo river. Founded in 1960, its enrollment is approximately 20,000 students. As a result of voter approval of Bond Measure A in 2004, the school received US$245 million to renovate the campus by upgrading existing buildings and constructing new facilities. Construction began in 2006 and is expected to continue until 2018.
Vantage has participated as a part of the design team on many of these projects on the main Whittier campus as well as the El Monte and South Whittier satellite campuses. In addition, we have worked directly for the College on a number of district-wide technology initiatives. We have provided strategic planning, infrastructure design, technology, audiovisual and low voltage system engineering, design and construction administration services for the College, including the following:
- Production of the Technology Master Plan to support the College’s Master Plan for building construction and renovation.
- Upgrade of the campus-wide optical fiber cabling system that supports voice, data and multimedia distribution throughout the College.
- Plan for the deployment of the campus-wide wireless data network.
- Development of information technology and audiovisual standards.
- Feasibility studies into the relocation of the existing data center and the replacement of the existing telephone system.
- A state-of-the-art, 41,000 square foot Physical Education Complex, that features a fitness center, classrooms, weight room, pools, tennis courts, dance studios and renovated soccer and softball fields.
- El Monte Educational Center, containing four classrooms in two new state-of-the-art classroom buildings, a computer lab and an administration building.
- 32,000 square foot, three story Administration of Justice Building, used to train future generations of police offers and includes a weight training room, high bay mat room, eight large occupancy classrooms, support offices, extensive locker rooms, as well as conference and break rooms. The building also includes an accredited police training testing facility.
Selected Project Experience
- Administration Building
- Administration of Justice Building
- Applied Technology Building
- Campus-wide Cabling Upgrade
- Campus-wide Wireless Network
- Data Center Relocation Feasibility Study
- El Monte Education Center
- Library & Learning Resource Center
- Physical Education Complex
- Police Academy Annex
- South Whittier Education Center
- Student Services Building
- Technology Master Plan
- Information Technology and Audiovisual Standards
- Telephone System Replacement Plan