Harold C. Smith Learning Commons
Location: Springfield, Massachusetts
Client: Springfield College
Architect: Icon Architects
Formerly known as Babson Library, and originally devoted to physical stacks of books and journals, the newly renovated Harold C. Smith Learning Commons incorporates updated functions to create and reinforce learning environments that students need to prosper in the 21st century.
Converting a dated 45-year-old library into a new Learning Center “reimagines what it means to study, learn, research, lead, refuel and collaborate” at Springfield College.
Read “Transforming a 45-year-old Library into a Modern Learning Commons” for the background story of how Vantage led a technology visioning project at Springfield College.
- Technology Visioning
- Infrastructure Design
- Needs Assessment and Feasibility
- System Design
- Construction Administration
- Audiovisual Systems
- Digital Media
- IT Infrastructure
- Wireless Networking
- Embedded the technology discussions early in the architectural design process through a visioning project with architect, faculty, staff and students to identify their unique needs
- Incorporated space management to maximize limited space for The Forum area to serve multiple purposes
- Designed IP-enabled and programmable security protocols to allow access to a building that is open 24-hours per day